Diarise it... Father’s Day, 21 June 2020! This year is going to be a little more challenging as we all continue to practice physical distancing to curb the spread of the COVID-19. But, there are still plenty of ways to make the day a super special one for the incredible father-figure in your life, whether you live with him or not, we've got a few gifting ideas and ways to celebrate him depending on what type of guy he is:
Get down to business with the Tech-Dad
Tech-Dads come in many shapes and sizes – some are serious businessmen who are always on the move, others are hardcore gamers, and some simply have a soft spot for the latest tech and gadgets. Here are a few ideas to treat the tech dude in your life:
- A great gift idea is a snazzy laptop bag if he's a trendy business guy. Stores like Country Road inside Woolworths have some seriously stylish options available in this regard.
- Get him that latest gadget from a tech store like Computer Mania, Gadget Time, Incredible Connection or Game4U. This type of dad always has an endless list of new tech items on his wish list, and you can always ask for advice from the knowledgeable in-store staff if you’re feeling overwhelmed with choice.
- Set up a gaming day or LAN session with his favourite order-in meal from a restaurant that offers a fuss-free home delivery or pick-up service. You can even have friends and family members join in on the action if he’s into multi-player games.
Explore fun new horizons with Adventure-Dad
Adventure-Dad is the kind of guy who loves packing up the bakkie and heading into the great unknown to pitch a tent, catch some fish, try out a new hiking trail and get up to adrenaline-inducing shenanigans in general. Chances are he’s been feeling quite cooped up during the lockdown, so the best thing you can do to celebrate him this Father’s Day is to find a way for him to enjoy aspects of his favourite pastimes. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Camp out in the backyard! Pitch a tent, set out camping chairs, charge your solar lamps, make a fire and settle in for a night outdoors (or indoors if the weather is bad - make use of a fireplace or set up a virtual atmos-fire on the TV). Bonus points for delicious s’mores and his favourite campfire ballads!
- Head on a hiking trail near your house and pack a picnic, including nuts and dried fruit from Montagu and biltong from Woolworths. Although we are still not allowed to travel for leisure reasons during Level 3 lockdown, many hiking trails have reopened for the use of locals, but remember to wear a mask at all times and keep your distance from other hikers.
- For gifting ideas, we all know that Cape Union Mart is the go-to for outdoor enthusiasts, travellers and explorers - they even have a handy gift guide all lined up.
- If you won't be near dad this Father's Day, take some time to make a digital video album to one of his best-loved tunes of all your favourite family holidays to take a trip down memory lane and inspire future adventures once lockdown has been lifted for good.
Up your game to celebrate the Sports-Dad
From the couch-bound supporter to the fitness freak, Sports-Dads are craving some serious sporting action by now. It’s been ages since they have seen live sports matches, so here are a few ways to indulge his love of sport and fitness during lockdown:
- Watch a re-run of an iconic match like the Rugby World Cup 2019 final (chills right?) with snacks and a nice cold beer, if that’s something he enjoys. Liquor stores are open for sales during restricted hours during Level 3 from Monday to Thursday, 9am - 5pm, so you can make sure he’s got a cold one ready to go.
- If he’s a fitness guy, prepare a WOD (workout of the day) and do it with him (even if it is via Zoom). You could get his fellow fitness friends and their kids involved too, so it’s a bit of a digital social occasion for everyone involved.
- For gifting you could get him some new fitness equipment or even a nice new wireless speaker for his WOD's, now that these items can be sold!
Write a new chapter with Culture-Dad
If your dad is more of a culture vulture, you actually have it fairly lucky – they’re so easy to shop for! Here are a few ideas to show your affection this Father’s Day:
- Dish up a meal inspired by their favourite book or movie. For example, whip up the epic cheeseburger and five dollar milkshake from Pulp Fiction; or Baratheon boar ribs or a good old bowl o’ brown for the Game of Throne enthusiast. And if you're not with him, film yourself re-enact his favourite line and wish him a Happy Father's Day for him to have a good laugh.
- Many orchestras, musicians and theatre troupes have been live streaming some of their best-loved productions. If your dad is into the classics, see if you can queue up one of his favourites and spend some time watching it with him.
- Buy him a book for his collection from Exclusive Books or Wordsworth Books, and a new pair of slippers and cool socks from Woolworths to chilling in and read his new book - it's a great pastime during lockdown.
There you have it – a few awesome ways you can spoil the father figure in your life this Father’s Day, even with the restrictions of the lockdown measures that are still in place.
You could win a Woolworths Country Road card holder and laptop bag valued at R1700, he deserves it - enter below! Competition closes on 21 June 2020 at 11:59pm, terms and conditions apply.