We've teamed up with foodie, chef and food stylist, Bas Newman (@bas_new on Instagram), to bring you an easy-to-make dish of the week during lockdown. These dishes will include ingredients that you are likely to have in your fridge or pantry - put them together they create something different and delicious!
This week’s breakfast shakshuka not only looks amazing but is a one-pan wonder. We challenge you to recreate this dish and show us, by using #DishOfTheWeek. Or, show us your very own go-to quick, easy, comfort dish that you make with the ingredients available in your cupboards - let's get foodie inspired.
|2 tsp olive oil/oil/butter
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green/red pepper
1 chopped clove garlic
2 tsp tomato paste
Sugar (if needed to sweeten)
1/2 tsp paprika
1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
1 can chakalaka (optional)
4 large eggs
200g of grated cheese
Salt & pepper
|1. Add 2 tsp of oil/butter to a hot pan/skillet.
2. Add 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped red/green pepper. Sauté until softened.
3. Add 1 chopped garlic clove. Take care not to burn.
4. Add 2 tsp tomato paste, sugar (if needed) and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika.
5. Add 1 tin of baked beans and 1 tin of chakalaka. Allow to cook until slightly reduced and thickened.
6. Make 4 gaps in the bean mixture and place the eggs in the gaps.
7. Lower the heat and allow to simmer. Eggs are ready when they turn opaque. Take care not to overcook.
8. Remove from heat and season.
9. Top with grated cheese and allow to melt.
10. Garnish with parsley and serve with toast.